Monday, March 19, 2007

Hi

I'm really excited that i can access Stephen's blog again. Thanks to Hui Ping's advice.

Yesterday in Sunday School is an achievement for Stephen and me. Stephen was able to stay in the classroom throughout 9.30 to 10.15. To both of us, it's a celebration. You cannot imagine the joy I feel.

I really want to thank Karen for her kind understanding in accomodating Stephen. Sarah's songs and the walkabout with the "go" and the "stop" signs are very much like the music therapy that the school is doing, i.e. helping the children to learn to wait, turn-taking and so on. Zhi Heng was very patient with Stephen as in slowly letting him doodle the way he choose to. One observation made during Stephen's colouring is that he would doodle on one figure before moving systemically onto the next.

I thank God for the people who helped to make yesterday's Sunday School class such a wonderful time for Stephen and me. My objective was simple. It was to stay 10 minutes in the classroom yet we were blessed with 45 minutes.

These days that Stephen was ill made me want to spend more time with him. Although at times he still insists in his own ways and I don't understand what he wants, he has also learnt to do a few things more independently such as walking. Now walking on his own has been a prime issue over the past months. But these days sometimes with a little persuasion and coaxing, he's able to do it. Sometimes he does it with Deborah hand-in-hand.

Another celebration: Stephen has been verbalising "mama" more on demand. Sure it warms my heart more than my ears. When I'm have Stephen as my boy, I really appreciate and treasure each little things he does especially when those things that seem difficult for him to comprehend. It can be frustrating too. The other day he saw a discarded McDonald's cup in the carpark and he wanted to pick it up and then drink it. Of course I didn't let him do that and the reaction is strong retaliation on his part. That's what I mean by he's triggered by what he see.

More updates coming when I can sign-in again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home